Saturday, July 8, 2017

Step covers for Rocky - On the cheap!


We had carpeted step covers on our previous travel trailers which were a really nice touch. Step covers provide a slip-resistant surface and help keep dirt out of the trailer. So, we naturally wanted step covers on the steps of our new Rockwood. The problem was our last trailer only had one step. Rocky has 6!  The step covers on Amazon run about $20 each which would cost $120 for all 6 steps!  Ouch...

I decided that I could accomplish the same thing for a lot less! First stop was Home Depot. Here, I found indoor/outdoor carpet runner. Also added to my cart were a General Tool Grommet Kit and two packages of additional grommets. The cost of supplies for this project:

Carpet runner, 9 feet at 2.26/linear foot = 20.34
Grommet Kit                                          =   9.97
Two packs of additional grommets        =   5.34
 TOTAL                                                   =  35.65

So far, so good!  Less than the cost of just two ready-made step covers!

Here's how I completed the project:

Step 1:  My steps are 9 inches wide, so I cut 6 lengths of carpet runner, each18" long. 18 inches provided cover for the step surface and with the wrap-around the edges, that left a gap on the underside of about 2 inches.


Step 2: The carpet runner was too wide for my steps so I trimmed each piece along the sides. The design in the carpet provided a perfect guide for cutting.  I simply cut each side, following the outside groove in the design.


Step 3: On the backside of the carpet, I measured 1-1/2 inch in from each leading edge and marked each side at the midpoint and then an additional mark 2 inches from each end.  Three "bullseyes" along each edge mark the spots for punching the grommet holes.





Step 4: Using the hole punch in the grommet kit, a hammer, and a scrap piece of wood, I punched a hole at each "bullseye." 




Step 5: I added a piece of Gorilla Tape (regular duct tape would work fine too) over each hole to reinforce it.
* The tape was an after-thought but I highly recommend it. The first step I finished had the grommet rip the hole a bit. The tape solved that problem nicely. I then re-punched the tape. You could add the tape first and just punch once.  




Step 6:  Following instructions in the grommet kit, add a grommet to each punched hole. First, place the grommet on the supplied anvil. Then place the hole punched in the carpet over the grommet. 




Step 7:  Place the "eye" of the grommet over the grommet.  



Step 8: Using the supplied grommet tamp, tap the grommet with a hammer to set it. 




Step 9: Repeat for all holes in all pieces of carpet. In my case, that meant 6 grommets on 6 carpet pieces for a total of 36 grommets. 


Step 10: Center the step cover on the step. 



Step 11: On the underside, thread a zip tie through opposing grommets and tighten snugly. 



Step 12: Trim the zip ties. 



Step 13: Repeat for all steps. 




Step 14: Admire your completed work!


                          

No comments:

Post a Comment